Contacts / Connections
Communities / Discussions
Library / Resources
General | Top
Q: What is my username/password?
A: Your login credentials are the same username and password that you use to log in to the DPA website. If you have forgotten your login credentials or need assistance with your logging in, please click here
Q: How do I update my contact information?
A: On your profile page, please select the pencil icon next to "Contact Details" in the left column.
Q: How do I control what information is visible in My Profile?
A: Please navigate to your profile page, then select the "My Account" tab and choose "Privacy Settings" from the drop-down menu. This will let you control what information is visible to whom. After you’ve made changes, click the “Save Changes” button at the bottom of the page.
Q: How do I earn ribbons and badges?
A: Please navigate to your profile page, then select the "My Contributions" tab and choose "My Achievements" from the drop-down menu. Here you will see all attainable ribbons and badges. Hover over each ribbon/badge for information on how to achieve. Once achieved, the ribbon/badge will no longer be greyed-out and will show underneath your profile picture. Engagement points
are awarded when a user completes an activity. Contribution points
are awarded when a user creates content. Ways to earn points:
- Community admin - Awarded for each community for which a user is an admin.
- Community created - Awarded each time a user creates a community.
- Community invitations sent - Awarded each time a user sends an invitation to join a community.
- Community invitations accepted - Awarded each time a user accepts an invitation to join a community.
- Community membership - Awarded for each community in which a user is a member.
- Best answer - Awarded each time content created by the user is marked as the Best Answer by others.
- Discussion post moderations - Awarded each time a user moderates a Discussion post (moderators only).
- Discussion subscriptions - Awarded each time a user subscribes to a Discussion list in real time.
- Discussion post written - Awarded each time a user writes a Discussion post.
- Discussion post read - Awarded each time a user reads a Discussion post.
- Discussion - new thread created - Awarded each time a user creates a new Discussion thread.
- Discussion - reply to sender - Awarded each time a user sends a message to a Discussion post's author from within a Discussion (i.e., not via email).
- Recommended content - The number of times content created by the user was recommended by others.
Questions & Answers
- Ask a question - Awarded each time a user asks a question.
- Answer a question - Awarded each time a user answers another user's question.
- Provide best answer to a question - Awarded each time a user's answer is marked by the original poster as the "best answer."
- Recommended content - The number of times content created by the user was recommended by others.
Contacts / Connections | Top
Q: How do I find other members?
A: Click the “Network" link found in the main navigation bar. The Directory lets you search for other users based on:
The directory will not provide a list of members - you must search for an individual. When you log in for the first time, you must agree to the terms and conditions and select in your profile, under privacy settings, “I would like to be included in the member directory and community rosters”. Once complete, you will appear in the directory search.
- First and/or last name
- Company/Institution name
- Email address
Q: How do I add contacts to my contact list?
A: There are several ways to add contacts. When you perform a search in the Directory, you will see an “Add as contact” button to the right of each person in your search results. Just click this button to send a contact request. If you click through and view an individual’s profile, you can click the contact request link to the right of his or her profile picture.
Q: Why should I add contacts to my contact list?
A: Creating this virtual address book makes it easy to send your contacts messages through the community site to stay in touch, ask questions or even build a referral network. Additionally, when you view another member’s profile, you’ll be able to see any contacts you have in common. You can also choose to let your contacts view certain demographics in your profile that others can't.
Communities / Discussions | Top
Q: What are communities?
A: Communities allow you to participate in discussions and share resources with other members.
Q: What communities do I already belong to?
A: Go to “Communities” in the main navigation bar. Select “My Communities” to view the communities you currently belong to.
Q: How do I create a new community?
A: Click on “Communities” in the main navigation and click on “My Communities”. Click on the "Create a New Community" button. Fill out the information and click "Save & Invite Members" - or "Save" if you do not wish to send invitations directly. When creating a community open to all members, select “DPA Members” for both Join and View permissions.
Q: How do I join/subscribe to a community and the affiliated discussion group?
A: Click on “Communities > Suggested Communities” in the main navigation and click on “Communities I Can Join” in order to see a list of available communities. Click on the community that you wish to join and simply click "Join," then choose a delivery option for posts (Real Time, Daily Digest or No Email).
Q: How can I control the frequency and format of emails I receive?
A: Navigate to your profile and click on the "My Account" tab. Choose "Community Notifications" from the drop-down menu. On that page, you can view and control your subscription options.
For each discussion, you have the following delivery options:
- Real time: sends an email every time a new message is posted.
- Daily digest: sends one email to you each day, consolidating all of the posts from the previous day.
- No Email: allows you to be part of the group without having emails sent to you. You can still post and read others’ messages by logging into the community site.
- Consolidated Digest: Allows you to combine multiple communities into one notification email.
Q: How do I leave a community or unsubscribe from a discussion?
A: Go to your profile and click on the "My Account" tab. Choose "Community Notifications" from the drop-down menu. Here, you will see a list of available communities and those to which you’ve subscribed. Select "Leave Community” under the Actions column for the discussions you wish to leave.
Q: How do I respond to others’ posts?
A: To respond to a discussion post, please navigate to the discussion post and click “Reply" to send your message to the entire community. To send a message to the only author of the post, please select “Reply Privately” (located in the "Reply" drop-down). We recommend replying privately for simple comments like “me, too” that add little value to the overall discussion; and replying to the entire community when you are sharing knowledge, experience or resources that others could benefit from.
Q: How do I start a new discussion thread?
A: On the site, go to “Participate" > “Post a message.” From an email for a particular discussion group, you can use the “Post Message” link located at the top of the discussion email. Each community also has a unique email address. Save that to your address book, and easily start a new post like you would a regular email.
Q: I’m having trouble viewing the HTML email messages. How do I fix this?
A: If images are not appearing, it is likely that your email client is set to suppress images. This should be something you can change in your security or viewing options. If you would rather receive text-based email, go to your profile page and click on the "My Account" tab. Choose "Community Notifications" from the drop-down menu. Select the “Plain Text” format option for each of the discussions you are subscribed to.
Q: Can I search for posts across all the communities?
A: Yes, please enter a keyword in the search bar located in the main navigation. To refine your search results, select one or more facets from the menu on the left side.
Q: How do I see a listing of all of the posts to a specific Community?
A: Locate the community you are interested in viewing from the appropriate communities page. Click through the community's landing page, then click on the “Discussions” tab. If you see a post you’re interested in, click the subject line which will take you to the entire thread.
Libraries | Top
Q: How do I find resources that may have been uploaded by other members?
A: If you know which library the resource might be located in, find the affiliated community via the My Communities page. Click through the community's landing page, then click on the “Library” tab . If you do not know where the resource might be, enter search terms in the main search box the same way you might enter search terms into Google or another search engine.
Q: How do the libraries get populated?
A: The libraries are populated in two ways:
1. When you include an attachment in a discussion post, the system automatically places it in the affiliated library.
2. You can also upload documents directly to a library by using the “Share a File” link found under “Participate” in the main navigation or "Create New Library Entry" button on any community's library page. Library resources are not required to be associated with a discussion thread.
Q: How do I upload a file?
A: Select the “Share a File” link found under “Participate” in the main navigation or "Create New Library Entry" on any community landing page. Please note that uploading a document is accomplished by completing a few steps, and each step must be completed before you can move on to the next:
- Choose a title for your document, and include a description (optional). Select the library to which you’d like to upload it, and select a folder to which you’d like to upload it (optional). Then, choose an Entry Type (most will be Standard Files, but be cognizant of any copyright licensed material). Once you have completed these steps, please click “Next.”
- Upload your file.
- Select “Next” if you want to further describe your files and/or add tags to your file. Otherwise, please click “Finish” to post your library entry
Q: What kind of files can I upload?
A: The system supports dozens of file types including hyperlinks, standard files (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), webinars, images and YouTube videos.
Q: What are the “tags” for?
A: Tags are great way to organize and categorize content on your site. Tags can be applied to blogs, library entries, events, and glossary terms. Tagged items are prioritized in the search results.